Preservation services were provided for the rehabilitation of two contributing resources to the Missouri State Fairgrounds Historic District in Sedalia, Missouri: the Coliseum and the Womans Building. The Coliseum, constructed in 1905-06, and the Womans Building, constructed in 1910, are two of the earliest buildings built on the fairgrounds.
The Coliseum is a 26,977 square foot steel truss and timber-framed structure with red brick veneer and terra cotta trimmed walls. Rehabilitation of the building included sitework repairs; roof and column structural repairs; asphalt roofing replacement; terra cotta repair; exterior painting; window and door repair and replacement; exterior lead paint abatement; and accessibility upgrades, including restroom upgrades, and new handrails and ramps.
The Womans Building is a 4,800 square foot wood-framed structure with tan brick veneer and a Carthage Marble front porch with decorative metal cornices, wood divided-lite windows and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic column capitals. Rehabilitation of the building included roof and window replacement; masonry restoration; exterior lead paint abatement; restroom renovations to improve accessibility; concrete slab replacement at the porch; and upgrades to the building’s electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems.
Civic, Preservation, Recreation